Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Fun

Cleaning day is done and now all the darlings are sleeping while I eat my vegetable soup. =)

A few things for today.
First of all, I decided after putting the chairs up on the table to vacuum underneath that we should make a fort under there, so after I was finished I ran upstairs and got the kids to clean up the toys they were playing with and we grabbed some blankets and came downstairs. They quickly decided that their bear animal snuggie was going to be the bear skin rug and soon after that their imaginations were running WILD! While I was making lunch I heard them calling Isaiah "Meeko"(Pocahontas' pet raccoon). Of course Olivia was Pocahontas herself. Who else could fill that important role. Addison was her friend, but we couldn't remember her name, so we called her Natsu, which sounded like a good Indian name to me. Emma Claire, of course, wanted to be the chief. ;) I made a good "Indian" lunch of beef sticks(cut turkey dogs), dried apples(actually not dried at all, just ran through the corer, slicer, peeler), fresh cucumbers(pickles), and cheese. They thought this was hysterical and I let them eat in their "tepee" because of course that's where Indian's eat. Olivia is resting under there right now. They are so excited to show "Father" when he gets home. I know you are wondering what role I played in this. Well, don't tell anyone, but I was John Smith...





Also, I've had several requests for my laundry soap recipe. Any time I mention it I get lots of responses. We use a variation of the Duggar Family recipe, which can be found on their website here.  They actually have lots of interesting things on their site. Anyway, when I'm making mine I double the Borax to 1 cup and since I can't ever find the Fels-Naptha bar soap I usually just use whatever I have a coupon for. This last time I used Irish Spring and my soap has had a nice smell. I don't want it to be too strong, but I do want it to smell nice and clean. The secret to getting the soap to clean as good as I need it to is by adding at least a scoop of Oxy Clean(or a cheap knock-off) to it before adding the water. I also add 1/2 scoop of Oxy Clean any time I have REALLY nasty clothes. It's also important to pre-treat your stained clothes.
I keep my soap in a big bucket either in the garage or the laundry room, but I have the manly man fill up an empty tide container full so that I don't have to try and lift the giant bucket for each load. I just need to shake my container up before pouring it into the washer. Let me know if you have any problems or if you find a bar soap that works nicely for you. I'm always on the look out for improving my recipe and have recently found the oxy clean to be a BIG help.
Last, I use a little vinegar as an odor remover and fabric softener. I don't use it in all my loads, but especially on towels and sheets and those sorts of things. It's also really good for the hoses in your washer and will keep it running nicely.=)
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment