Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pin Pon and Friends

I've mentioned before that we are using My Father's World curriculum this year. The them of the year is Exploring Countries and Cultures. It's such a great idea starting first with an overview of the world, then it has us "visiting" all the individual countries across the globe. We just finished up a study of Mexico. To celebrate we had a Mexican Fiesta. Below are some of the pictures and a HYSTERICAL video of one of the songs that they kids learned to share with their dad.

First of all, we needed decorations, so we made a pinata'! I HATE paper mache, because I always end up having to do it mostly on my own and it's a HUGE mess, so I figured out how to make my own pinata with a paper lunch bag. It worked great, and there was virtually no mess!
Here's how we did it:
We took a paper lunch bag and filled it half full of "goodies." We filled it the rest of the way full of balled-up paper. Then I stapled the top of the bag.


I let Olivia design the pinata'. She wanted it to look like the Mexican flag, so I looked in our party cabinet and got some green, white, and red crepe paper.

I had Olivia measure around the bag then cut several strips of the paper to glue on.
 

Olivia also used the scissors to cut fringe on the strips of crepe paper. She really liked that part.

We simply spread glue around the bag and added the paper. As a finishing touch we added the crest that's found on the Mexican flag. I got it from one of our school pages, but there are TONS of free clip art sites on the internet.


Last, we added streamers to the bottom with tape.

The finished product! Worked like a charm and was still really fun for the kids to make.

For other decorations we made Mexican flowers. Olivia made a Mexican flag(Yes it's on yellow paper.). We also used some of our work pages for decorations.

Spanish color words.

John 3:16 in Spanish with Mexican flag worksheet. The one on the end is Bubby's.

Our kitchen decor. I pulled the "vines," red table cloth, and green napkins out from Addison's Watermelon party leftovers.


A sweet little Mexican doll a friend gave me over 15 years ago was our centerpiece.


Mis bebe's. Olivia picked out their "spanish outfits."

We had some old fashioned spanish music records that we played. This is the kids clapping while they were waiting to be served their Mexican meal.

Mis hijas



Pin Pon y amigos!

Pin Pon's a paper doll and his clothes are all in place.
He uses soap and water to wash his hands and face.
He straightens out his hair with a tiny ivory comb,
And even if he pulls hard he doesn't whine or moan. 

Pin Pon the paper doll. He was such a little HAM!

The pinata' busting.


el profesor

And, without further ado, I give you...PIN PON!!!


What a blessing to teach these Little's.

1 comment:

  1. OK, that is the BEST idea for a pinata ever. I, too, hate papier mache and have avoided pinatas as a result, but this is brilliant! And it looks so CutE, too.

    ReplyDelete