Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Smittle Style


My darling Manly took off today to celebrate Valentine's Day. Like I said earlier today Valentine's has always been a day that I dislike. I think that those who love should show love throughout the year and not spend excessive amounts of money on balloons, flowers, and electronic dancing plush. This year, however, I decided to try to simply focus on celebrating the love I have for Scotty and the kids. They mean so much to me, and it's great that there is a day set aside for me to stop and specifically celebrate that. SO, that's what we tried to do today.
We actually started our celebration yesterday by making old fashioned Valentine's bags and homemade
Valentine's for each other. The kids really got into it for several reasons. We had a snow day yesterday, so I think we could have done anything and the kids would have been excited! Also, I let them use GLITTER! I am a glitter HATER! I NEVER NEVER NEVER use it because it always seems to spread all over the house and all over everyone, so they were excited to get a chance to use glitter. I think it also helped that Manly and I were both there to help. When I'm doing crafts alone I think the kids get a little bored of waiting on me to get around the table to help them. It always ends up chaotic and wild. Having two helpers was much better for everyone!
Here are the finished bags.

From the front

From the back.

This morning "the boys" made us girls breakfast. They made pink homemade pancakes. They were yummy! The girls thought they were magical!
They waited at the door of the kitchen to say "Happy Valentine's Day, Girls!!"

Scotty had a note made for each of the girls(including me) that read that he and Brubbs would like to take us out on a formal lunch date. The girls were really excited for Daddy to be home TWO days in a row!

Daddy and Brubbs with their pancakes!

After breakfast we went in to look at our Valentine's. The kids did such a good job making special things for each other.
KK looking at the Valentine I made her.

Addi looking inside to see if there was anything else in there.

My Mia looking at all her pretty Valentine's.

Lulu with her Valentine from Daddy.

Brubbs

Olivia wrote everyone really sweet notes on hearts she cut out. This is her reading her note she wrote to Brubbs. She's such a golden hearted girl. Each note was so sweetly written.

After we did Valentine's we got dressed and ready to go to lunch. I let the girls pick out one of their "fancy dresses." They love getting to pick a fancy dress! We went to Market Place. I'm not crazy about that place, but we wanted to go somewhere we could enjoy a yummy dessert because it's not often that we get dessert at home much less out somewhere. MP has the BEST desserts, SO we decided to go there.
Daddy and Brubbs with their hot dates.

Manly and Momma. I'm not sure why I look so ghostly.

This is Mia's face just about ALL the time. This girl is pure JOY.

Us girls about to go in and enjoy our dates. Notice Addi's RED shoes. She wears those just about every day. Sweet girl!

My big girls!

Just about any time we go out strangers come up and talk to us. They want to know the ages and names of our kids and want to know all about anything we are willing to tell them about our family. Today a nice lady came over to tell us how well behaved our kids were and to ask if she could take our picture. Ha! Of course we let her.

Me and my HANDSOME date!

Daddy and his "Sweetie Peetie"

Our YUMMY desserts. We let the kids get two mini messes to split. These are the dessert buddies.
Bubby and Lulu

Wacky KK(really looking forward to getting into that MESS!) and Addi.

Momma and Daddy(thanks to Lulu for both of the pictures of Manly and me).

Look at these two working so hard to get every last bit!

Lulu helping Brubbs get a good bite.

Even Mia got a TINY taste of our yummy.

Tonight the girls and I made a nice candle light dinner for Manly. I even got the fancy tableware out. It was a nice treat for him, but of course once I was in charge I didn't get any pictures. Manly is teaching tonight, so now that the littles are in bed I'm vegging out watching Biggest Loser. A nice day.
Today is a day to celebrate love. Remember these things about what love is...

   Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

-1 Corinthians 13 taken from The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment