Saturday, October 27, 2012

Halloween Family Fun

Halloween can be a great time for family fun! Themed costumes are a great way to bring the family together and get the creative juices flowing. We've done several different themes that have all been fun. This year is a surprise until the big reveal, but here are a few of our other themed years.

2007
One of my all-time favorite years! This was actually the first year we did an official theme. The girls loved the Wizard of Oz, so this was a perfect fit. My costume was part of a real tin man and part of it was spray painted because I was too tall to wear the whole one piece set. I was also pregnant with Addi. 

2008
This was a year that Olivia was obsessed with Charlotte's Web. We decided it would be pretty easy to pull it off for Halloween. Addi and I are Charlotte's web, Scotty is Homer Z, KK is Wilber, and Livi is Fern. It turned out really cute! I wish we had a better picture.
 
2009
This was a crazy year for us. My grandfather was in the hospital and we were in the middle of buying a house, and I was HUGE pregnant. SO, we kept it simple and let the kids do characters from the hundred acre wood. So cute! Look at Addi! So little and CUTE!
 
2010
This year we decided to mix it up a little and go as Disney Pixar characters. Scotty, KK, and I were from Monster's, Inc, and Livi, Addi, and Bubby were from Toy Story.
 
Last year we let the kids go as Random Disney pairs such as Hook and Wendy, but I got NO good pictures of it!
Here's one of them apart from each other.
Manly and I as red riding hood and grandmother. Hysterical!
 
The biggest thing to remember when you are doing themed costumes(or any kind of costumes for that matter) is to go with what you already have around the house. There's no need to buy expensive costumes. Get creative and look around at what you have just lying around. My cape in the picture above was a red sheet we weren't using anymore. I just added a few stitches and red ribbon and it was a cape! Keep it simple and think ahead! Ask the kids for help and always ask them for ideas on a theme. Also, buy costumes at consignment events. I always stock up on things there, and then just use what we can when we can. Everything else goes in the costume box for playing dress-up. Enjoy the fall season as a family!!
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm stopping by today from Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life.
    While I no longer have any little ones at home I do enjoy seeing the kids in their costumes. It seems people are more creative.
    I love the family theme costumes.
    Have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte's Web is my favorite. You're my hero when it comes to family costumes. And you will also be terribly disappointed in me when you see the randomness of my kids' costumes. I'm just gonna play the triplet card and hopefully do a better job next year.

    ReplyDelete