Friday, July 19, 2013

Anointed

The last few weeks have been SO tough on me. I mean, if I'm being honest, the last year has been tough on me. There are a lot of things that I would change about our life if I could, but for reasons I haven't quite wrapped my heart around yet this is where the Lord has us.
It's hard, being in a place you don't really want to be in, ehh? I've been doing a study with some mom friends of mine on the life of David, and this past week I've been blown away by the life he lived. Was he perfect? Absolutely not, and he was quick to talk about his flaws. What really has me thinking though is the waiting period between when David was anointed and when he actually became King.
This story can be found in 1Samuel 16:7, but I'll do my best to work through it with you. Obviously, I'm no Bible scholar, but thankfully the Lord knows my heart...See, when David was about 15 Samuel(God also chose him at an early age to be a prophet. ) came to his father Jessie and says, "Hey Jessie, one of your sons is to be king." Of course Jessie starts to put up all of his handsome strong sons. One by one Samuel(actually the LORD) rejects the boys of his house, then he says to Jessie, "Is this it?" to which Jessie says, "Well, I have this one other scrawny son out in the fields with the sheep." Samuel says(in his best British accent), "Well, go on then." SO, Jessie sends for Dave. I can just picture a cute little scruffy headed boy with lanky legs, sparkly eyes full of wonder, and hands full of lambs. He walks in and immediately the LORD says, "That's him! Anoint him KING!" So, Samuel anoints him as king in the presence of all of his looked over brothers. Here is where the story gets really juicy.
So, here we have this 15 year old boy who is anointed by the Lord, but the Lord has plans for him BEFORE he's ready for him to be king. Davie has several jobs that through the years bring him experience and strength of heart. God takes him before Goliath. God sends him into Saul's service as a harp player and armor-bearer. Then there's this whole long section in 1Samuel about Saul's jealousy of David and how he tried to kill him, but the Lord keeps him safe, because he's got great plans for our little shepherd boy. SO, TWENTY-TWO years go by before David actually begins to reign over Israel. 22 YEARS! After all that time, once Dave gets on the throne he looks back and he GOD was the source of his station in life. There could be NO other explanation. God had guided David through those 22 years and allowed EXACTLY what he wanted to build David into the man he needed him to be. I'm sure there were times when Dave looked at his circumstances and thought, "I'd really rather NOT be here!", but once he was on the other side he had the insight to be able to thank God for where he'd brought him and how he'd delivered him.
Now, I've not been anointed King(too bad, because I KNOW if I can run this house like a well oiled machine I could run a country! JUST KIDDING!), but I have been placed in the position of wife and mother. There are circumstances that I HATE! There are things I'd LOVE to change, but after reading this story I've GOT to believe that God isn't going to take me to a place without a reason and I'm going to make it through and be a better person for it. And you know what happens when I look at my life with that perspective? JOY! Unexplainable joy. Joy that, honestly, I'm missing in some areas of my life.
God is waiting for me to move back into a place of submission to my husband. He's ready for me to be his supporter. He's ready for me to give back control to Manly. The best part is that not only have I been chosen to be wife and mother, but my MAN has been chosen to by my counter parts! He's made Manly the perfect fit for me. Together, working in the roles God has called us to do, we are unstoppable.
This waiting period can be tough, but stop and look at where you've already come! Think back over your life and recognize God's presence in your past circumstances! Once you start to list those you'll remember it might not be the FIRST time you've been in such a waiting period before. Remembering those times throughout your life lets you more fully trust His involvement in your life NOW.
Listen to these words from Priscilla Shirer, "Whatever your life entails right now-no matter how far removed it seems from what you expected-He has anointed you and divinely equipped you to not merely handle it but to thrive in it.  If you can't be faithful in a little, God will not give you the larger assignment. He may want to adjust your life and character in smaller assignments to prepare you for the larger ones. "
Yeah, I want to be like Dave the shepherd boy. I want to look back and be content with where I've been and where I'm going. Where did David go? Well, you might just find him in Matthew chapter 1 as part of the genealogy of Jesus. I'm just sayin...

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Leslie. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple friends of mine and I were talking recently and I was telling them that I hate that old adage "God never gives you more than you can handle." and I hear people say it ALL THe time. It's so false. He most certainly does give us more, so that we'll take it and run back to him and He can show us and HE can be glorified in it. All those awesome people in the Bible weren't really all that awesome, you know. It was all God using people who were flawed, partially because it pleases him to do so and partially I think, because it shows us that even with our flaws and mistakes, God's plans are bigger, and more badass really than we can even imagine. This weird messed up life I'm living, well, there's a plan in there for God's glory.

    ReplyDelete