Monday, January 6, 2014

Another New School Room

I keep trying to write this post. I've deleted thousands of different words. Words that would blow your socks off. Words that would tell the story of our family and how we came to the decision to put our kids in public school after five years of homeschooling. This is not an easy decision. This is not the decision I thought we'd be making today, but it's the one in front of us now.
The Monday before Christmas break Manly and I had another discussion that ended with us talking about putting the kids in public school. By Tuesday, we were speaking to the school counselor about the logistics of them coming. By Thursday we had toured the campus, and turned in all paperwork. It was official, our kids were going to public school. Now here we are only a few weeks later, and my kids are having their first day of school away from me. But that's not all the story you want. You want to hear the why and the how.
That is the part that I keep deleting. I keep worrying about offending my homeschool friends and worrying about offending my public school friends. Here's what I've decided to share. I want our story to show others that is doesn't have to be one way or the other. Homeschooling is great, and if it's for you and it works for your family, GREAT. Do it! If you put your kids in school and it works for you and your family, GREAT! Do it! But guess what? Sometimes what works best for your family is going to change. WHEN IT DOES(not IF!) have the freedom to change the plan. Feel free to go where God leads. Feel free to go against the flow. Feel free to do what's best for YOU and YOUR family. If something needs to change so that you can be the best mom God made you to be, CHANGE. If something needs to be different in your home so that God gets the glory, do something different.
Don't feel trapped. Don't think that once you've made your choice it has to be forever. Don't be afraid to go against what every. single. one. of your friends are doing. Trust God and do what's best for you and your family. Following THAT path will lead to blessings unending.
No single thing lead to our decision to stop homeschooling. It was several things that built up to us having several conversations. Conversations that ended in prayer. Prayer that ended in PEACE. That's a place where I want to be. A place where peace surrounds our home and hearts. I know you may want more answers than that, but I think this is good enough for now.
I'm so so thankful to those of you who have been supportive to us through these last few weeks. There have been so many people who have messaged, texted, and called to see how we're doing. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. We appreciate you so much and are thankful that God has put you in our path!
 
My sweet sleepy big girls all ready to go.
 
Close up of my girls.

About to unload on what was the COLDEST day of the year!!
 
 My sweet girls(and their protective brother) walking in to school this morning.
The little kids waiting anxiously for their sisters in the pick up line! Mia said, "I SEE da girls SCHOOL!!"
 

3 comments:

  1. Well said Leslie! Good job following where God leads, it's the only thing to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so blessed by your friendship and the encouragement you offer, sometimes unknowingly. I am encouraged by your trust in God and the fact that you both put Him first in your family. Praying for you in this transition. I pray that Wes and I will continue to put Christ above what anyone else tells us is right for our family and am thankful we have friends like you to support us as we do.

    ReplyDelete