Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hello, My Name Is...

So, last night Scotty and I spent the evening laying in the bed writing out names for our new Little Smittle. We like to pick the name early, so that we can start calling he or she by name and let the girls get used to the name and the idea of another baby. For some reason, simply putting a name out there helps to make it seem more real for us.

Anyway, last night, as we were going through names I started to think about all of this and about how the baby will hear his or her name several times before they are even born. When that child comes out kicking and screaming and they lay him or her on my chest I will look into their eyes and say, "Hi. 'so and so'." I'll already love that child and I'll feel like I already know them. They will know me too. You see, they'll be trained to hearing my voice. When I say their name and I talk to them they'll know who I am.

I started thinking about a worship song that says, "He knows my name. He knows my every thought. He sees each tear that falls, and hears me when I call."
Aren't we just like a newborn baby. We come kicking and screaming to God and he lays us on his chest and says, "Hi 'so and so'" He already knew us before we came to Him. He saw our first tear and he'll see our last. HE loves us before we even KNOW him. If we train ourselves, we too, can hear and recognize His voice from others "in a crowd." He also knew the names we were going to pick out before we picked them, because, HE'S GOD!

Anyway, all of that to say, we picked out our baby names. It was a neat process for us, because if you haven't already noticed we use vowel names. It's our "gimmick." Maybe someday it'll get us our own TLC show, but for now it's our quiet way of having names with something in common without it blaring at everyone who hears them. SO, it makes picking out a name not hard, but a little more complicated. Before we decided to do this for sure we picked out several names that we liked so that we'd know if there were enough to actually go through with this. It's been neat though, because with each child most of the names change. Our boy name has stayed the same for the last two though, and last night we settled down on it again. Our girl name, obviously, has changed each time, but this is a totally new name for me. I've never even thought about it until recently, but now it's my favorite! SO without further ado!!!!

Isaiah Scott
Amelia Joy
You don't have to tell me if you don't like them, because I don't really care!=) We are so excited about this new life in our family. The girls are giddy. Especially Olivia. She's really wanting a baby brother, but she told me today if we had another baby sister it would give Addison a sister partner too like her and Emma Claire.=) SO so sweet.
The way I test a name out is to "sign" a Christmas Card. You know you did this when you were younger. You sign something with your boyfriend's last name? HA! Anyway, last night I wrote out all of our names then inserted these names in. We loved them! SO,
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Scotty, Leslie, Olivia, Emma Claire, Addison,
and Isaiah(AND/OR)Amelia Smittle

7 comments:

  1. this is toooo funny! every girl name you have picked, with the exception of addison, have been names i have rolled around for my own daughter one day: olivia, emma and amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them both! My kids have an Aunt Joy and we've definitely thought of using it for a name. So cute. You should definitely meet me in Austin for Wicked. You can even stay at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, Amelia is my sister's name. Of course, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the names-LOVE THEM-can't believe I missed a mop give-away. Now I really am turning off the computer to go to sleep and wander if that Libman really would change my life-you may not know but apparently I love mops because I have several-always in search of ways to make my floor sparkle. And we use the Razorback Football Player announcer voice to determine if a name will work for our boys. Fool-Proof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the names!! How special!

    ...and I don't have any yet, but I SO do that same thing! Insert all the names into a "Christmas Card" greeting. hahaa

    Thought I was the only one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I commented on this but maybe not? Maybe I just meant to. Love both the names and can't wait to find out what you're having. I don't know why but I think its a boy this time. Do you feel any different?

    Sending love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like both of these names! Your brood just keeps getting cuter and cuter!

    ReplyDelete