Monday, May 17, 2010

Here today, gone tomorrow

Life is SHORT. You never know if tomorrow is a day you'll see. People die in car crashes, freak accidents, and heart attacks every day. Children die of diseases that we don't have cures for, mothers die in child birth. The list goes on and on. God has given us THIS moment to live and love though. We have to learn to take advantage of every last drop of life.
Yesterday was senior appreciation Sunday at church. We walked into a mostly full auditorium with the oldest two kids and found a seat near the back with some of our friends. As the service began I got comfy with my girls and the manly man and after singing a few unfamiliar songs we sat down to watch the senior slide show. Oooohs and aaaahs could be heard throughout the crowd as the pictures flashed on the screen. The classic giant glasses in 4th grade, our family at Disney, wicker chair photos all passed me without too much emotion minus a few snickers about how much children's fashion has changed.
Then, it happened. Amid the pictures, our oldest daughter(who recently graduated herself-FROM KINDERGARTEN!) looked up at me and laughed about one of the pictures. This shouldn't have been a big deal, but suddenly I was all tears thinking about the fact that if I blink she'll be one of the seniors being "appreciated." She'll be grown and my duty as her full-time mother will end. Even now, thinking about it makes me tear up!
I won't lie. The life of a stay at home mother of four is HARD. It has it's ups and downs, but for the most part it's a 24/7 job that never gets vacations or sick days. Don't start feeling sorry for me though, because what you don't see is the pay. This is the single most rewarding job I've ever had. For whatever reason, God has decided to reward me with being a mother and raising these amazing kids. And they are amazing, by the way. Yes, I'm their mother, but ask anyone who knows them and they'll tell you. Yes, they are active, and at times out of control, but I have great kids.
I was reminded yesterday to squeeze every drop out of every moment I have with them. It's my responsibility to take EVERY advantage to teach them about our savior and what He's done for them. I want to teach them to love the unlovely, to take care of each other, to be their best, and to love me and their dad as their leaders who have been put here on earth to take care of them. I want to have fun with my kids. I want them to know I did my best. Especially now, while they are young, I want to soak them up and let them soak up my love, AND in turn Christ's for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment