Thursday, January 13, 2011

Brub has a rough life ahead

 
So, being the only boy in a family with FOUR sisters is going to be a rough road for the little brub a dub. The boy loves his sisters, but often I think the thought going through his head is 'enough is enough already with all the girls!'

He's been picking up bad habits from them lately including shrieking to the top of his lungs when he hears them screaming while playing. He's also learned to swat at them if they get too close. He'll scurry up the stairs right along with them then cry at the gate to want to come down when they decide to come back down.

All the girls want to be his momma. All the girls want to be his "best friend." All the girls want to carry him around. I can't imagine what the poor baby's life will be like when they all get a little older! He'll never be allowed into the bathroom to do his business, he'll be scared to ever bring a girl home to all these ladies, he may never even want to go out of the house.=)

I've been thinking about him as an older child and teenager this week and my prayers keep going back to protection. It seems so easy to pray for God to protect our girls, but praying protection over our son is just as important. I've been praying for protection of his heart, protection of his body, and protection of his spiritual life.

It seems now, more than ever it's important for us as parents to pray protection over our kids well being. There are so many trials and temptations they will face that I never even dreamed about as a child. There are so many falsities that await them that weren't around while I was growing up.


I want my son to be a strong, courageous man. May Isaiah be willing to stand up for his faith, to take care of his sisters and momma, and future wife, to stay healthy, and be a kind compassionate father some day just like his own daddy.

These days I've also been praying that God would be Isaiah's "vision." Most of you know that Isaiah was born with strabismus or congenital esotropia to be exact.

When he was one day shy of being seven months old, he had corrective surgery. While this isn't a "cure" for Isaiah's type of strabismus it is the only treatment for it that has been proven to help.

Because his type doesn't have to do with the muscles, but a part of his brain that never quite developed, it's a tough road to go down as far as his eyes go. One day he may look with both eyes, and the next he may struggle to get one of his eyes to properly focus, the next he may ignore one all all together. For the most part, he's looking great and we KNOW we made the right decision to do the surgery, but some days it's hard to trust that God has this all in his plan for Isaiah's life.  I don't want him to ever be made fun of because of it, and it's always such an easy joke to cross your eyes at someone or use that gesture to be funny to someone. There's just so much I want to guard him from as his momma!=)

I often will look at him up close and say, "Isaiah! God gave you TWO eyes to see!" The girls and I have even made up a little song to sing to him about it. I know that seems silly, but I always want Isaiah to know to be thankful for his sight and the eyes God gave him. Please join me in praying that God would be Isaiah's vision.

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

No comments:

Post a Comment