Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm a Big Boy Now!

Isaiah is currently undergoing "the change." Ha! The first change of life, that is. Isaiah is on the journey to becoming a BIG BOY! Yesterday was a big day for Bubby. He woke up thinking it be like any other day, but boy was he wrong.
I whisked him into the bathroom for his first real day of potty training. He's been willing and able to go pee and poop in the potty for the last several months, but I felt like he just wasn't really ready to potty train yet, so I'd let him go when he'd say something about it or before he was getting in the bathtub. Yesterday, however was his first REAL day of training. He did really good. Only two accidents all day, which I think is pretty good for a baby boy less than two. I got him some ADORABLE boxer briefs for Christmas and they make my heart melt on his tiny hiney. Seriously, my baby boy walking around in his underwear was choking me up! Ha!
We also transitioned Bubbs out of his crib and into his big boy bed. He's been napping there for the past several weeks off and on, so it wasn't too much of a transition for him, but he did great. He wanted all his things from his crib in his bed, which I'd planned to do anyway, but he stayed in bed all night and woke up this morning at 7:15 and knocked on the door and said, "GET OUT!" Ha! What a big boy! I know there may be some bad nights ahead when he realizes he can get out of bed, but for now he's doing great.
The hardest of the transitions was taking his...dum, dum, dum...PACCI away! I know! He's too old to be using a pacci, but there are some things I've learned to be OK with now that we have five kids and my almost 2 year old having a pacci was one of them. He was so tiny when Mia was born and I felt like there were a lot of "baby of the family" type things that were kind of taken from him, so I'd let him have his pacci thinking he'd eventually forget about it or decide he didn't want it anymore. Well, that day didn't come, so yesterday(while Scotty was still home on holiday) I decided we'd go ahead and do all the transitions in one swoop. He'd only had it at bed times for the most part, so I knew it wouldn't be an issue until he went to bed. As soon as he got in his bed and settled down he looked up at me with his big brown eyes and smiling said, "Pacci, please!" I looked over at Scotty(who was there for moral support) and really wanted to cave in, but Scotty spoke up and told him that he'd done such a great job being a big boy that we'd decided he didn't need the pacci anymore. They were for babies and he was NO baby! He started to cry, so we kissed him and consoled him and left the room thinking that if he was still crying after five minutes we'd reconsider our decision. I mean, his little sad eyes were breaking my heart. To our disbelief, that boy was SOUND ASLEEP in less than 3 minutes. He took his nap great! When he woke up I went into his room to get him and the bed was all disheveled. I said, "What did you do to your bed, Bubb!?" He said, "Look. Pacci! Not THERE! GONE!!" I said, "You were looking for you pacci, but remember you don't need it any more!" "I need it!" he says! Silly boy! He did even better last night at bedtime. I let him pick something out of the stuffed animal toy box to sleep with. He looked so big laying there covered up in his big boy bed with his Woody doll and his big boy haircut and no pacci. I love watching as he makes his place in our family, but I miss my baby boy already!
Thanks to my sweet friend Becke' for capturing this sweet picture.
It seems like yesterday.

1 comment: