Friday, March 2, 2012

Servanthood:Messy Work for God

This week we've been studying about India. As part of that we've been learning about Amy Carmichael. Today, I had Olivia reading aloud from one of our books while I was working with the little kids who were coloring around the table. As she read, we all listened. It's always so neat to me when Spirit speaks to me through my kids and today was no exception.
Olivia was reading about how Amy Carmichael gave up traveling around telling others about Jesus to open the Dohnavur Fellowship. She used this mission to take in "temple children"(children who had been sold to the Gods because their parents were unable to arrange a marriage for them) and any other orphans and women who needed a place to live. Olivia read the line, "...these little jewels were a lot of work, especially the babies. Feeding, burping, changing diapers, rocking, hushing...and then it had to be done all over again. Sometimes when Amy was rocking a crying baby, she remembered the thrill of traveling from village to village telling people about Jesus. Had she done the right thing to give up that important work just to take care of babies?"
That hit me right in the gut. There are so many days I think about the fact that all I do most days is take care of babies. It can get REALLY messy taking care of littles day in and day out. It's such a hard job and there are, I admit, days when I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Then I get the reminder it is my calling to serve my family. I remember what Amy also remembered, "...Jesus kneeled down and washed the feet of His disciples. It was dirty work, the work of a servant. Then Jesus told His disciples to follow His example."
Not only is it my job to serve my family, but I get to teach my kids how to live with a servant's heart as well. I want to set a good example for my kids. I want them to see that yes, it's hard work, but it's such a blessing to serve others. I can do ANYTHING for Jesus and it becomes a GOOD and HOLY job.  That means we can wash those clothes, clean those toilets, and sweep those floors to the glory of God. It brings such a JOYFUL spirit into the job as well. Do EVERYTHING as unto the Lord. If I'm making lunch like I'm making it for Jesus you better believe those sandwiches are going to be GOOD. If I'm teaching school like I'm teachin' Jesus, you better believe I'm going to stay calm and be prepared. The book goes on to say, "Servanthood is doing any kind of work to please Jesus." Wow.

"If I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash each other's feet. I did this as an example so that you should do as I have done for you."-John 13:14-15

The quotes are taken from a book that I HIGHLY recommend called "Hero Tales" there are two volumes of true stories of heroes of the faith. Our family has loved all the stories and each section has a different character quality lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment