Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Super Healthy Kids Hits Another Home Run!

So, I've blogged before about my love for the Super Healthy Kids site. It continues to impress me. They have ideas that are actually SUPER easy and very simple ways to make your grocery shopping simple and the food you buy healthy for your family. I recently got an email update with the following info. I was already doing most of what was recommended in my shopping, but thought that the resource might be very helpful to some moms just starting out on the healthier meal plan route.
The following came straight from the email sent to me by Super Healthy Kids. I'd recommend you going to their site and taking a look around for other GREAT ideas on feeding your family right.

5 Ways To Eat Less Sugar!

I'm noticing in our house lately the effects on added sugar on my kids, and even myself. When we consume excessive sugar, I can almost always guarantee the next day every one is moody, sluggish, and we are more likely to get sick (particularly with sinus congestion). I've actually been keeping records to document this phenomenon and it has happened almost 100% of the time!
So, I've put together a short list on how you can minimize the effects of sugar for your kids?

  1. Be a label checker! Just yesterday, I was turning yogurt containers over at the grocery store. One Greek Yogurt, 6 ounce container contained 20 grams of sugar! The plain Greek yogurt had 7 grams! You could further argue by checking the ingredients, that the extra 13 grams had to come from added sugars, rather than milk sugars.
  2. Cook foods yourself. Rather than purchasing storebought muffins or baked goods, bake them yourself. You can always cut the sugar called for in a recipe by half without having much impact on the texture of the outcome. The flavor of course will change, but who needs super sweet? I can tell when I may have gone a little far on cutting back on the sugar when my kids eat what I've made and say, "This tastes like nothing!". ha ha. Funny thing though, they still eat it!
  3. Keep Low Sugar Snacks Accessible. Rather than 'fruit snacks' or even Graham crackers, keep carrots and cheese, hard boiled eggs, or nuts and seeds. When we eat foods that are not sweet, somehow we are more satisfied. The sweeter our snacks, the more we want to eat!
  4. Never, Never, Never buy cereal that is over 6 grams of sugar per serving! Your kids don't need it! Especially when you can find cereal that contains 1 or 2 grams of sugar, then you can add berries or bananas to it.
  5. Prevent the biggest source of added sugar of all by not even bringing them into your house: sugar sweetened drinks. Make your own juice, check for 100% juice, or implement a water only policy at home!
There is never a need for added sugar in a child's diet. Make sure all their sugars are coming from natural fruit sources and you will notice a difference in your kids health and behavior!
I will say this. The moment I started doing this in my home all the kids(at the time it was just the two oldest girls) started staying healthier! When we start to slip up or it's birthday season and they've had more sugar I can start to tell it's time to look at their diet. Such a simple way to improve the overall health of your family!!

Also, I KNOW you mommas with Littles will LOVE this section on ideas for a simple healthy snack time.

No comments:

Post a Comment