Tuesday, October 2, 2012

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

I haven't posted a favorite things post in quite some time, so I thought I'd share a few of my current favorite things. A few I actually picked up this morning, but they've already made the list, so you know they must be FANTASTIC and worth looking into.

Febreze Air Effects-Current Scent= Apple Spice and Delight
This little dear will make your house smell like you've been slaving away in the kitchen on apple pies all day. If you come over to my house and think to yourself, "Wow. I hope she serves us some of that apple pie." Know that I didn't make any pie, so you won't get anything except maybe a graham cracker and a glass of water. Ha!
 
The Knot Genie Hairbrush
I've been wanting one of these for the girls since I first heard of them, and after one day I am a believer! I got mine at Laura's, but you can get them on the Knot Genie Website. It's perfect for my two girls with long hair, but KK will let me brush without screaming her short hair too. Really a miracle worker. The knots just disappear without breaking hair. It leaves their hair looking freshly washed and styled. We got it in silver. They also have it in a mini size for kids, but Lulu liked the way the larger one fit in her hand, so we went with the regular one.
 
The Writing CLAW
 
If you've ever watched me write with a pencil you'd know that I hold it all wonky. When I was in school and even before my mom and teachers used to work with me to hold it correctly, but to no avail. I stick my thumb up in the air while I write. My hand always gets tired, and my writing is hard to read. When I started homeschooling Olivia I was able to get her to hold her pencil correctly with little effort, but KK is left handed, and for some reason I'm having a harder time with her. I think it's the angle she goes at. I need to have my left handed SIL help me know what to do to teach her, but in the mean time I found these REALLY cool grippers. They make it impossible to hold your pencil incorrectly. They come in all colors. A friend of mine who works in a private school told me about them. They have all their students use them. They work much better than the other strange shaped ones(that I can work around and still hold my pencil wrong with). They come in three sizes.
 
Pandora
 
I know that most (if not all) of you have heard of Pandora(no, not the jewelry), but just in case you've been living under a boulder and haven't been out in the last 5 years, Pandora is an amazing online radio station. The cool thing is that you can create your own channels. For instance, I love the music of Kari Jobe, so I have a station that plays Kari and other artists with music much like hers. My favorite stations are my selective Christmas Station(this comes on year around, but mostly Oct-Dec), Hillsong Station(I listen to when the kids are playing outside and I'm working in the kitchen), and Harry Connick, Jr(When Manly and I play board games we like this one. It's best when playing scrabble! Ha!) My kids made their own channel that they listen to during the day called the B-I-B-L-E station. It plays all kids Christian music. The great thing about Pandora is that you can tell it what artists to add or take off of your station. If it plays a song you like you give it a thumbs up, and if it plays a song you don't like you give it a thumbs down and it will quickly pick another song and skip that one. We have the App on our TV, but you can also just go to the Pandora site and start up an account. Best thing is IT'S FREE!!
 
Snickers Bars
 
 I could likely eat 8 of these a day if they were like eating a carrot. Sadly, they are not, so I limit myself to only getting one when I'm out on Wednesday's for errands. I know it's nothing new, but they are my one and only treat I REALLY like. I'm not much of a candy eater, so this is my weakness.
 
Parenthood
 
I started watching this show last year when Netflix kept telling me I'd like it. I watched all but the current season on Netflix, then caught up on the current season on hulu. Once I was caught up I'd fix my evenings so that I could be watching it on Tuesday evenings. It's on TONIGHT at 9 Central time. I love it because it shows a good functioning family. It's on prime time television, so there are flaws as far as being family-friendly(my kids obviously don't watch), but I love that it shows a family who loves each other and isn't all about how stupid the father is and how the mother runs the entire family. There is a child with aspergers on the show, and it's not just shown as a "handicap." It shows how his family deals with his tough times, but also loves his strengths. It has Dax Shepard on it, whom I've loved since his days on punk'd back when I was a punk. It also co-stars Lauren Graham(Gilmore Girls) and Monica Potter(who I LOVE in the movie Patch Adams). It always makes me cry, and always makes me glad to have my family around me. Watch it if you dare. P.S. It's also got Bernice Matice all grown up for any of you Hope Floats fans.
 
The Tony Little Gazelle
 
When I was in college I hurt my knee dancing doing rhythmic movements(if you know where I went to college you know dancing was NOT allowed back then. I'm sure it is now since the last time I went through the student center there was a girl watching MTV on the plasma TV), since then I haven't been able to do a whole lot of exercise without knee pain. I can, however, work out on this. It's really smooth, and doesn't require any strain on my knees(Manly will likely give me a hard time for sounding like an old lady, but I worked out on it this morning while he slept in and didn't go running!). I used to go a little over 3 miles in about 30 minutes, but these days I only have time for about 15-20 minutes before I need to get in the shower before the kids get up. It's what I'll use to cut the baby weight after Elias. It has a nifty little timer on it that shows how many calories burned, the time I've been working, and the speed and distance. I think it also told my fortune yesterday. I'm kidding...
 
So, these are a few of my favorite things as of Tuesday, October 2. Do you have anything you are just crazy about right now?

1 comment:

  1. Steven loves parenthood. He's completely addicted to that show.
    I too, save candy bar consumption for errand day.

    I'm STILL loving my kindle.
    And I'm awaiting the season premieres of 3 shows:
    Duck Dynasty
    American Horror Story and
    The Walking Dead

    ReplyDelete