Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Few Things to Pass Along

I've seen a few things I wanted to share here, so I decided I'd just do them on one post and get it all out of the way.

First of all, this cracked me up. I don't think I've ever thought of myself as being ANYTHING like a rock star, but it turns out, I AM! Ha!
 
Secondly, I don't know about you, but sometimes "new mommy brain" gets the best of me. I mean, basically I've had this issue for about 9 years now(counting "pregnancy brain" too), but there are times when I can hardly remember my own name let alone how long it's safe to store breast milk. I'm planning to print this off and put it in my pump bag so that I'll be able to see and remember. It's a really handy tool.

Storage guidelines

HUMAN MILK STORAGE – QUICK REFERENCE CARD
TemperatureStorage Time
Freshly expressed milk
Warm room80-90°F / 27-32°C3-4 hours
Room temperature61-79°F / 16-26°C4-8 hours
(ideal: 3-4 hours)
Insulated cooler / ice packs59°F / 15°C24 hours
Refrigerated Milk (Store at back, away from door)
Refrigerator (fresh milk)32-39°F / 0-4°C3-8 days
(ideal: 72 hrs)
Refrigerator (thawed milk)32-39°F / 0-4°C24 hours
Frozen Milk (Do not refreeze! Store at back, away from door/sides)
Freezer compartment inside refrigerator (older-style)Varies2 weeks
Self-contained freezer unit of a refrigerator/freezer<39 td="td">6 months
Separate deep freeze0°F / -18°C12 months
(ideal: 6 months)
These guidelines are for milk expressed for a full-term healthy baby. If baby is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, discuss storage guidelines with baby’s doctor.
To avoid waste and for easier thawing & warming, store milk in 1-4 ounce portions. Date milk before storing. Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed. Avoid adding warm milk to a container of previously refrigerated or frozen milk – cool the new milk before combining. Breastmilk is not spoiled unless it smells really bad or tastes sour.To thaw milk
  • Thaw slowly in the refrigerator (this takes about 12 hours – try putting it in the fridge the night before you need it). Avoid letting milk sit out at room temperature to thaw.
  • For quicker thawing, hold container under running water – start cool and gradually increase temperature.
Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.
To warm milk
  • Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
  • Use a bottle warmer.
  • NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.
The cream will rise to the top of the milk during storage. Gently swirl milk (do not shake) to mix before checking temperature and offering to baby.
If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it is probably safe to refrigerate and offer within 1-2 hours before it is discarded.

If you'd also like to print this off go here and click the PDF file at the bottom. Thanks kellymom.com for the great chart!

OK, that's it for now. I have consignment to hang and tag!

No comments:

Post a Comment