Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reality is...REAL!

After reading the introduction and chapter 1 of Jill's new book "No More Perfect Moms" I'm already hooked. Loving what I've read so far! As I read I kept thinking that I could have written the exact same words and it was like she had opened my head and taken a look inside my brain. She wrote a thought similar to one I was actually just thinking yesterday, that "with each addition(new child) I renewed my desire to be the best mom I could be. I wanted to give each child the greatest opportunities. I dreamed about who that child would become. I hoped for that child's future. And then reality set in."
It's tough, reality. It brings us right back to the ground from being up in dreamland. Usually flat on our faces.  It starts to set in day 2 of the new life when the "I'm not so fresh and don't have to sleep 24 hours a day anymore" stage sets in. Then you can always count on the "day 7 doctor bills" to come in the mail. Not to mention the "2 week growth spurt", and "3 week tummy ache." That can usually be followed by the "1 month screaming fits for 3 hours straight through the night" phase, the "we can't pay all of our bills week." Don't forget the "my other kids aren't adjusting to the new baby" transition!
Ah, yes, reality. It's simply put, REAL. But so many of us(me TOTALLY included) try to act as if we are always doing just fine.  When in REALITY we haven't eaten anything healthy other than the half of the banana that the toddler left on the floor, we're wearing the same outfit from yesterday, our hair hasn't been washed in 3 days, we haven't brushed our teeth yet, and yes, that's spit-up on the carpet. The kids run wild in the playroom until of course the "witching hour"(as we say at our house) between snack and dinner when I just need to get the chicken on but there are 5 littles that need NOTHING but my undivided attention and to hang from the chandelier.
So many times I've looked out across the different moms I come in contact with and felt like I just don't measure up to them. They are more stylish, more peaceful and quiet spoken, they don't yell at their children, they bring only the best dishes to the ladies luncheon, and they always have well behaved children and an attentive husband. It's so hard not to compare my life to theirs and feel inadequate as a mom, wife, and woman. I keep asking myself WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? As I read Jill's words tears came to my eyes. Take a look and boy oh boy can I not wait for you to get your hands on this book! She says, "Nothing is wrong with you or your family. You are normal. Your frustrations are normal. Your disappointments are normal. Your struggles are normal. In fact, that’s what this book is all about: the reassurance that you are normal." Talk about a sigh of relief. Read this and rest assured, THERE ARE NO PERFECT MOMS. I'm certainly not perfect and neither is the mom you are always trying to measure up with. Yes, some ladies do an excellent job with their roles, but know and understand that each one struggles in a different way and at different times. Also know that there is likely someone looking at you and thinking they must be broken. Let's stop looking at others and look to the Lord. What He thinks is truth, and He thinks you are just right.
Don't miss out on the most spectacular times in the life of your family by looking for perfection. You'll never get there and you'll just end up old and sad with no memories of a live well spent!
This is your life! Soak it up!
Love you, L

No More Perfect Moms

3 comments:

  1. Amen. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who yells at her kids sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. No mom is perfect and it's very disheartening to feel like you are SO far behind everyone else who seems to have it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So right. This is one lesson I am so glad that I have learned as I have grown older. I try to "keep it real" for the younger moms who I know are looking at me and my brood and thinking we have it all down. To help with that, I think the Lord gave us a fireball for our youngest. She makes it SO obvious that I don't have it all together!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete