Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Our Story: Spring Break Stalk

If you are just joining me today for the Our Story posts you should start here then read this and this. I told Manly last night this is my favorite part of the story. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because this is the part that brought our lives together forever...

I stood there in the parking lot looking around like I was on "What Would You Do?" or something. I waited to see if Manly was coming back, but he never came. I finally decided to get in my car and head home with Spring Break plans of pool hopping and mall shopping. As soon as I got home I decided I'd drop Manly an email to tell him thanks for fixing my car. The only problem was I didn't have his email address. I would call him but I didn't have his phone number. In fact, I had no idea how to get in touch with him at all. So began the Spring Break Stalk. I knew two things about Manly: that he lived in a small town in NW AR, and that he was in a band called At His Feet.
Because you can't look someone up by entering "small town" as the city I decided the easiest way to find him would be through the band. So I searched through about until I came to the right one. It's actually still out there on the web. Proof that things never go away no matter how hard you try to make them! Ha! SCORE! I sent him this email(this is actually the exact email because I kept every email he ever wrote me and put them into a book after we'd been married a few years...Also, keep in mind this was a LONG time ago. Ha!)

Hello there Scotty~
I want you to know that I have been stalking you ALL DAY!! I was thinking about how thankful I was that you helped me with my car on Monday, and I thought I would just give you a call and let you know, but then I realized that I had absolutely NO way of getting in touch with you. SO, I shed a tear and pouted for a few days. Then it hit me that I had seen you in the computer lab at school countless times, therefore, you HAD to have an email address. SOOO, first I did an email search, but I couldn't find you. Then, I did a website search for JesusFest thinking I could find a link for At His Feet, NOPE!!! So, I did a web search for At His Feet, and FINALLY, after viewing about three hundred sites, I find your website, which by the way is WONDERFUL and quite informative, but there are no email addresses! BUT, I thought there has to be a way to find him, so right before I signed off I saw there was a guest book. I thought MAYBE you had signed your own guest book, and I knew they usually included an email address, so I searched the guestbook until I found your entry. The rest is history. Here I am countless hours later emailing you to say thanks again for starting my car. I hope you don't feel violated ;0) No one else seemed to care that I was going to be stranded at school alone over spring break with nothing except a suitcase full of smelly clothes! Anyway, my Momma was very pleased you came to my rescue. I'm so sorry I wasn't even there to help you. I guess I better go do something a little more legal with my time than stalking. Have a great week, and I'll see you Monday!
Leslie

This email set us on a week long email conversation about everything under the sun, but there was still one problem. I just wasn't attracted to that scruffy red-headed boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment