Monday, March 24, 2014

Repurposed Xylophone

Ever had something you didn't want to part with, but you couldn't justify keeping it? That doesn't happen to me VERY often because it's generally easier for me to get rid of things and live minimally than it is for me to keep things and feel cluttered. There are, from time to time, those sweet little items that I just hate to part with though. One of those was this xylophone.
Sweet TINY KK playing the xylophone at only 4 months old. She's a musical genius.

Manly's grandparents originally found it at a garage sale, I think, but they gave it to Olivia when she was about 2 years old, and each of our children has LOVED playing on it. It has a great old fashioned sound, and is so pretty! I love all the colors.
Well, you can imagine after six kids and 7 years a toy gets a little tired. Manly had repaired it several times, but a few weeks back it broke for good, and we decided we had to take it out of the playroom. I was so sad that I couldn't throw it away. Manly had the AMAZING idea of repurposing it into a wind chime. I of course loved this idea. We try to do family activities on Sunday afternoons, and yesterday we finally had a chance to work on it.
Everyone was really excited and Manly gave everyone a job. Brubbs is obviously VERY interested in what Manly has to say. Ha! And yes, everyone is in PJs cause that's how we roll on Sunday afternoons.
 
Manly found this big hoop to use for our project. I have no idea where it came from, so if your lamp is missing a hoop, it was my man! Ha!
 
We first had to take the xylophone apart, which wasn't too tough since it was already pretty broken. Afterwards, Manly gave our arguing children new jobs with different partners so that we could work in peace. Ha! We tried using fishing line to attach the chimes, but it was too fine. Lulu had some rainbow yarn, so we used that. Not nuts about it, but it did add to the charm of it in the end!
Here is Manly tying on the chimes the kids got ready for him.
 
Once we got the chimes all hung on it was just a matter of spacing. The girls held onto the hoop while Manly got it just right then we hung it. I'm loving the color on my porch, and it sounds SO pretty!
 
KK helping dad.
 
The Middles helping to hold it just right.
 
The finished product. We just hung it with a hook onto our porch siding.

No comments:

Post a Comment