Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy 101 to Leslie's Little Smittles!!

Whoa! I missed saying anything about my last post being my 100th. I should celebrate with cake, I think. That's probably just my pregnant brain telling me to make any excuse to eat something.=)

We've been passing around yucky coughs and snots lately. I finally got Isaiah on an antibiotic since it'd been three months and his nose still hadn't cleared up and he'd been coughing. My kids are rarely sick, and usually don't require a Rx, but this time I decided that he needed some help to kick this cold or sinus infection or whatever it is.

So, being in the heart of the south we don't get much winter weather. I mean, it's cold to us when it's 30 degrees, but as far as serious cold or winter precipitation we just don't ever deal with that. Until this winter. It's been really cold and snowing a lot. I love the winter weather for several reasons, but mostly because it means that manly is home with us! I also like the fresh look of everything covered in WHITE! So pretty and soft and quiet. The kids like the winter weather because of momma's homemade hot cocoa. That stuff is GOOD! I use this recipe to make chocolate syrup, warm the milk in the microwave for 2 minutes, add three mini marshmallows, and serve. SO yummy! You can also use it for Chocolate milk and as an added boost to your coffee. I mean, I usually just drink it straight out of the bottle...Kidding...welll....It's the pregnant brain that made me do it that ONE time...=) The thing I love about this recipe is that it's stuff we usually already have at home.

I also made a DELICIOUS banana bread recipe with the kids the other day. Olivia had been reading from one of her books and brought it to me to ask if we could make it. Since I've been in the mood to increase my baking skills lately(I can cook with the best of them, but baking is NOT my thing) I decided that we would indeed tackle the bread. It's a very easy recipe:
Big Bird's Banana Bread
3 peeled ripe bananas
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Oil bread pan(we used our pampered chef heart-shaped spring form since it was a treat for daddy and close to Valentine's day)
  • Mash bananas in large bowl.
  • Melt butter and add to bananas.
  • Add in other ingredients.
  • Stir until mixed together.
  • Pour into pan.
  • Bake for one hour.
We added chopped nuts to the top of half of ours.

I love this recipe for me and the kids because it has no added sugar, but it doesn't lack good taste. It's really good, really moist, and actually pretty healthy. Enjoy!

It's Monday. That means laundry day and school. I just heard my dryer finish and Olivia is working through a tough math lesson. Time for me to get going.

Have a great day! Soak it up! This is your life!

OH, and Happy 101 to Leslie's Little Smittles!=)

No comments:

Post a Comment