Thursday, February 23, 2012

I'm SO Granola...

Actually, I'm not. I do own a pair of ragged TOMS, listen to folky grass roots music, and watch indy movies, but that's about as "granola" as I get. I DO, however make a REALLY good granola. I've toyed with several different recipes, and seem to be getting it mostly perfect now. I had a few friends ask for the recipe, so I'm going to do my best to share it. I'm not a "stick to the recipe" type of girl. I cook like my granny, I just eye it, taste it, and try to make it look right. That sort of cooking makes it really hard to write down recipes, but I'm gonna do my best.

Momma's Groovy Granola

6 cup oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1/4 cup cinnamon(you can leave this out if you don't like cinnamon)
I also add in nuts. You can use whatever you have on hand, but my favorites are almonds! I usually add in 2 cups if I don't have any other nuts or 1cup if I have others. You can also add in seeds(like pumpkin and sunflower). Use about 1/4 cup of these.

Mix together in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Combine
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup coconut oil(in liquid form)
2 Tb. water
3/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. almond extract
Add to oats.
Mix together(I usually use my hands to be sure to get it all mixed together really good and everything evenly coated.)
Spread evenly onto two cookie sheets(or baking dishes)
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes(be sure to stir a few times while it's baking, I usually stir every ten minutes, then cook for 5 more minutes)
Let cool. Be sure to stir a few times while cooling.

Once cool you can add 1/2 cup of any dried fruit you'd like. Some that we've tried are craisins, raisins, and banana chips. You could also try dates, or apricots.

A MUST for us it chocolate chips! Add these to your mixture once it's cool for  chips, or while cooling for a more clustery taste(this is what I like to do). How much, you ask? Well, don't ask me! You decide! If you like 'em as much as we do add those puppies in until they mostly cover the top layer. If you aren't sure or you just HAVE to have a number do about 3/4 cup.

You can use granola as a snack by itself, with milk as a cereal(my kids favorite), with yogurt and fresh fruit as a parfait, or on a tortilla with peanut butter for a healthy(ish) lunch.

The best thing is that you can switch it up and make it however you and your family like it best. The best way to make sure you get it how you like it is to keep making it!
Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment