Friday, February 15, 2013

Home Brewed Smittle: Week 38. 2 to go.

So, we're here. The end of my last pregnancy. It's a little bitter sweet, but I feel so peaceful about our decision for Eli to be our last baby. As I get prepared to welcome him into our home and family I know for sure that he will be loved and cherished by Manly, the littles, and me. I CAN NOT wait. At this point I want to make it to our baby shower at church this Sunday afternoon. Once we're finished with that Eli can feel free to come any time. I'd still like to make it to March just so I'll have a baby born every other month of the year! I know that sounds crazy, but I think it'd be cool!
This past week I've had a few friends ask some really good homebirth related questions I thought I'd take the time to answer for anyone else wondering the same thing. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll try to get them answered.
  1. What is the purpose for having a birth photographer? Will they take pictures of everything or just the baby? What made you decide to have one? This is an easy one to answer! I wanted a birth photographer because I've started seeing some of the most amazing pictures that capture that unbelievable love between spouses and the baby. I want those moments captured forever. Especially since this is our last baby! The birth photographer won't be catching the nasty stuff! Her stuff is all very tasteful and beautiful, and I look forward to having her pictures. Believe me, if you'd told me I'd have a birth photographer at my first birth I would have laughed in your face. It's something I've come around to. AND, she's a friend who's very pro midwife, so I feel good about having her be part of my birth experience.
  2. What will happen with your other kids during deliver? Will they be home and/or have someone to watch them? I'm not questioning your ability to take care of them, I'm just curious how all that works.  The kids will be here. Our house is set up in a way that they won't know what's going on if they are upstairs in their rooms. Aunt Steph(Scotty's sister) will come at the first signs of labor and be there to meet any needs they may have. Most of my babies have been born in the wee hours of the morning, so they will likely wake up to a new brother. That's what happened with Mia. They WON'T be in the room while I'm having the baby! That's just too much for me! I don't want to do ANYTHING that will scare them about birth or give them too much at such a young age. They will be the first to visit with the new baby though, and we love those moments as a family with our newest member. I can't wait to have Paula(our photographer) capture those moments!!
  3. How to you labor without meds? You must be superwoman! Believe me, it's just as painful for me as it is for you! I just take my time, focus, and BREATHE! I actually like the feeling of being able to know how the process is moving along and know when my body is ready to deliver. The two times I had an epidural I HATED not being able to feel my body, and it took forever to feel "normal" again after the baby was here. With Mia I was able to deliver, then have a bath and get in and out of the tub with little help. With all of my natural births I was up walking around sooner and recovered sooner.
  4. Do you have fears about delivering at home? Nope. The first time I did. Mostly I was afraid that my carpet would get stained or there would be a huge mess! Ha! I know that sounds crazy. I'm telling you, my midwife answered all my questions and then some, and because of the amazing care I'd received from her throughout my pregnancy(last time and this time) I have absolutely NO doubt about their capabilities to help me welcome my baby safely. They come to our house equipped with everything they might need including oxygen tanks. AND, we're really close to a hospital if an emergency with me or the baby should arise. BUT, most all homebirths have wonderful outcomes, and I have no fears of the "what ifs."
  5. Why didn't you just deliver in a birthing center? If there were birthing centers in our area I would likely chose that rout with a midwife, but there are no birthing centers anywhere close to us! I hope to have a hand in changing that some day, but for now, my home is just fine.
  6. Will Eli be circumcised? Yes. We will wait a few days, but our ped has already said he was happy to do it in his office.
  7. Do you do immunizations? If so, how does that work? Yes, we do immunize. We wait a few months to begin, but we immunize all the kids. We don't do ALL of them, but most of them. We do all of the required. We don't do flu shots, but that's a different story. That's not a topic of conversation I'm interested in having with anyone, because I'm at peace with that decision.
Our birth photographer took some maternity pictures for us this week that I thought I'd share. I haven't taken a SINGLE belly picture this time, so this as my first time to see myself pregnant! Ha! I thought Paula did a great job catching our personalities and love.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I decided after these pictures that I have the "Chandler smile." I get so nervous taking pictures!! Ha! If you are interested in having Paula(Sweet Serendipity Photography) take pictures for your special occasions you can get in contact with her here.
So, Eli is getting plumper by the day. Babycenter says he's ready physically and just getting chubby and hanging out. They say he weighs about 6.8 pounds and is over 19 1/2 inches long. About the size of a leek??? What in the world? Well anyway, we are ready and waiting for our precious boy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment