Friday, August 30, 2013

Addison, Future Psychotherapist

Being married to a therapist is a riot. When he meets someone new I assume he's always thinking about how they talk, why they say the things they do, and what kind of childhood they must have had. I think it helps that I have a degree in counseling as well. It gives me somewhat of an insight into his everyday life. Too bad I just never really had the knack for doing therapy.
You would not believe how many times I've been sitting there talking to my husband only to get that sneaky feeling that he's thinking about my brain. I'll stop, look at him, and say, "STOP IT! You're my husband! NOT my therapist!" He often uses his skills on me though. Sometimes I like it. I mean, it's pretty awesome to have a husband who really "gets me." Ha! The reality is that he's already had "me" as a client. He knows my issue and how to fix it.
He also uses his skills on the kids. They haven't really picked up on it yet, but I'm telling you he opens their little minds in the blink of an eye. He'll get them thinking about why they feel a certain way or what their feelings might mean. He's able to get them to talk things through and name their emotions in a way that I simply can not do.

Imagine our surprise when, out of the blue, we hear our Addi throwing back therapy talk to her dad. The breakfast conversation went something like this:
KK: So, Bobby and GRAMMY were MARRIED?
Manly: Yup.
Olivia: Yes, Emma Claire. They were married. We've already had this discussion before.
KK: I know, but BOBBY AND GRAMMY were married! That's so funny!
Olivia:*Rolls eyes*
Addison: And you and Aunt Stephanie were their kids?
Manly: Yup(catching on that Manly doesn't actually SAY very much!)
Addison: *Putting her hand on Manly's arm, nodding her head,  and looking really sympathetic* I'm really sorry, dad. That must have been really hard for you. Are you OK?
Manly:*Trying not to laugh* You know, it was hard for me, but I'm OK now. It was a long time ago.
Addison: Oh, good.


No comments:

Post a Comment