Sunday, August 18, 2013

Our Story: Wanna Do It?

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I blubbered around for a minute or two until real words would come out. "I like it!" was all I could muster. Ha! I'm telling you, I was SPEECHLESS! He smiled his huge smile and said, "Good. I was hoping you would."
We had a nice long talk. Somewhere in there he asked me yet again to get ice cream. Ha! I should have known then that the way to his heart is through his stomach. I got really serious and told him about what had happened with my last relationship. I told him I had become really interested in him, but that I couldn't waste time in a dead end relationship. I said, "If you can't imagine still being with me in 50 years swinging on our front porch swing while we watch our grandkids play then you need to know that I'm NOT interested in a relationship with you." I went on to say that I totally understood how crazy that sounded, but that I wouldn't budge on the issue. With WIDE freshman eyes(did I mention he was a freshman! Oh yes, robbing the cradle.) he said, "I...think...I need...to think about it...just for a minute."
He left and went to his dorm, and I went on to my next class. By that evening he came walking up looking a bit nervous, but mostly cute and said something like, "So, I was thinking. I've always liked porch swings, and I like you, so...yeah. I think you are amazing, and I can picture us happy together 50 years from now."
By Thursday I wrote him this email:
"Ahhhh! This is so fun! The only thing is my face hurts from smiling so much!"
His response:
"I'm glad you're enjoying it or I would feel stupid, cuz my face hurts all the time now too."
That night, April 4, 2002, almost exactly a year since my heart had been broken, I went on my first date with the love of my life. Where, you ask? TCBY, of course! Ha! We rode in his car, listened to SuperChick, and talked about anything and everything.
The thing both of us remember the most about the date was when we were pulling out of TCBY. Scotty looked over and said, "Wanna do it?" I think my eyes nearly popped out of  my darn head!! I said, "WHAAAT?!?" He got SO red and pointed across the street at a carwash and says, "THE CARWASH THE CARWASH! Do you want to do the CARWASH!" HA! Still a classic Scotty Smittle line...

No comments:

Post a Comment