Sunday, September 29, 2013

Our Story: Put a RING On It!

God love him, I have a good man. Thrifty, but GOOD. When it was time for us to get engaged he wanted to buy my ring with cash. That's a decision I respected, but this little momma was READY to get married. Ha! He was saving and saving, but time was still ticking away. FINALLY, the family I nannied for needed the interior of their house painted. They paid Manly to do the job.
I KNEW he had gotten the ring, but he WOULD NOT tell me anything. Days went by and NOTHING. I had half decided we would NEVER get engaged. Then he asked me to go hiking with him.
Now I don't know if you know this about me, but I HATE the "great outdoors." Ehh, go hiking? Sure, I'd love to go hiking with you in AUGUST in Arkansas!! I knew this wasn't going to be the "big day," so I got myself dressed in umbros(remember those!?) and a tank top, and he came by and picked me up.
As we were hiking up I thought I was going to die! When we finally got to the top I was completely out of breath. The plan was to hike up the mountain, eat a picnic lunch, then hike down. When we found a place to sit down Manly handed me the lunch box he had packed and I started passing out the food. When I pulled out the last thing I saw it. It was a little hand written card. I pulled it out, and on it was written, "Will you marry me?"  
I looked up at him in total SHOCK. He had gotten down on one knee and was holding my ring out. His mouth was full of lunch, but I still SHRIEKED out, "YES! YES YES YES!!!" He had a sharpie marker, and we wrote on the rock we were sitting on something like, "She said YES! Scotty Smittle and Leslie York-August 8, 2003" I'm pretty sure I floated down that mountain. Now we had a wedding to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment