Tuesday, October 22, 2013

De-Stress WITH The Kids

Today, while I was trying to make dinner while listening to the big kids playing on the tire swing in the backyard, practicing music for church Sunday,keeping the babies from chewing raw meat, getting myself ready for girls night out, and timing it all in a way that would get us out the door and to Manly's office for the great changing of the guard so that he could bring the kids back home and I could go socialize, I got a little stressed. Stress is actually second nature for me. Usually before I even get out of bed my job begins. Usually around 5-5:30am each morning.
It's important to find ways throughout my day to relieve a little stress while still maintaining my mommy role. SO, today while I was in the moment of stress I jotted down a few things that I thought I might pass along to you. Take 'em or leave 'em, but their my tried and true kid involved stress busters. There are more, but these are my favorites.
  • Color. I am not very good at coloring, but I LOVE to color with the kids. They love it too. I always try to keep a couple of really easy coloring books with simple thick lines. There's something about just sitting there and moving the crayon back and forth that really just calms me down. Shop the Dollar Store for the best and biggest coloring books...
  • Listen to a lullaby. I had never thought of this until I recently heard an interview with Michelle Duggar where she talked about listening to harp music when her house got chaotic. I have an amazing lullaby station on our Pandora account, so I'll just pop that up on my phone when things start to get nutso and pretty quickly things can turn around. If you aren't sure what to add might I suggest Jewel! You'll thank me later.
  • Push cars around. There is something about laying on your tummy and just pushing a matchbox car. Sounds are optional. My best times with Brubbs usually comes from this time spent on the floor.
  • Read. Really need the check the noise level? Pick out a great story and read to the kids in your most animated voice. It doesn't even have to be a picture book, just something that they'll enjoy. Be sure to stop before they become uninterested. Leaving them wanting more will allow you to bring it back out again. Maybe while you want them to fold laundry or eat lunch...
  • Swing. It's been so beautiful outside these past several weeks. While I'm not an outdoorswoman I still have to go out and play with the kids. I like taking a moment to SLOWLY swing on the swingset. I say slowly because going fast would probably make me barf. Ha! I usually have to move my rump pretty quickly or put a baby on my lap because there aren't a whole lot of extra swings these days, but the kids are good to share at least for a few moments.
Happy de-stressing! Remember, this is your life soak it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment